Employment tribunal range of costs
Our pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal:
(Please note the current standard rate of VAT is 20%)
- Simple case: £3,500 – £5,200 (excluding VAT)
- Medium complexity case: £5,000-£10,000 (excluding VAT)
- High complexity case: £14,000-£25,000 (excluding VAT)
We charge based on an hourly rate which varies depending on the member of staff dealing with your matter. Our lowest hourly rate is £150 and our highest hourly rate is £225. The seniority of the members of staff dealing with your case will depend on its complexity. We will discuss this with you when you instruct us.
There will be a charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of £1,500 per day (excluding VAT). Generally, we would allow one to five days depending on the complexity of your case.
Please note that our fees do not include:
- Financial, pension, investment, tax advice
- Anything else not identified in the points listed
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on your claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a preliminary hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at final hearing, including instructions to counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged to meet your individual needs.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel’s fees estimated between £850 to £2,500 per day (excluding vat) (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation)
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take two to six weeks. If your claim proceeds to a final hearing, your case is likely to take six to 36 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim, for example if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
ACAS Conciliation will be required for claims and this can take between one and six weeks, which will be charged at the hourly rate of £225 (excluding vat).
Please note: where VAT is payable this will be at the current rate of 20%.