legal hub

Your questions… answered

Search our legal hub for the answers to some of the legal questions that we get asked most frequently. If you can’t find your question, just email us at

Department: Commercial Property

Commercial Property

Why is it necessary to provide ID and proof of funds when instructing a solicitor?

Providing ID and proof of funds is a requirement of The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds Regulations 2017.

Commercial Property

Is stamp duty payable on commercial property?

Yes, Stamp Duty Land Tax is payable on commercial property with a purchase price of more than £150,000.

Commercial Property

What’s the difference between a lease, a licence and tenancy at will?

A lease grants rights of exclusive possession for a fixed period, usually providing a business tenant with security of tenure.

Commercial Property

What work can be carried out on a listed building?

Carrying out works to a listed building, whether internal or external, needs careful consideration.

Can't the the answer to your query? Ask us a question Commercial Property

What are a landlord’s legal obligations in relation to smoke alarms?

There must be working smoke alarms on every floor of a rental property which is used as living accommodation as set out in The Smoke and Carbo

Commercial Property

What steps should I take to avoid property fraud?

You’re more at risk of property fraud if you rent out your property, live overseas, the property is empty or the property is mortgage-free. In

Commercial Property

How do I end a protected business tenancy using a section 25 notice?

There are two different ways to end a protected business tenancy, both requiring a section 25 notice to be served on the tenant.

Commercial Property

How should I give notice to a residential tenant to vacate my property?

There are two different ways to give notice to a tenant to vacate a property depending on your circumstances.