Can I use the small claims process to recover money that I am owed? Debt Recovery

If you are owed £10,000 or less, you can take action against the person or organisation that owes you the money through the small claims process Money Claim Online.

Claims for a fixed amount of money can be made online, but if you are claiming for an unspecified amount, you will need to download and fill in a paper claim form N1 and send it to the County Court Money Claims Centre.

Bear in mind that you must pay a court fee when you make a claim and, if the other person or business denies owing the money, you might have to go to a court hearing.

For advice about recovering money that you are owed, speak to our debt recovery team.