How do I start divorce proceedings? Family Law

To start divorce proceedings you have to apply to the court to file for a divorce.

Paperwork must be sent to court to file for a divorce, although you can usually avoid going to court hearings if you agree about children, money and property.

You will be granted a decree nisi following a 20 week ‘contemplation’ period. Six weeks after this you can apply for a decree absolute, which legally ends your marriage.