Karen Elder Disputes Partner
I have over 20 years’ experience as a commercial dispute resolution solicitor in both the High Court and the County Court primarily handling construction and engineering disputes. I deal with general commercial supply/services contract claims, dilapidations claims, landlord and tenant matters, lease renewals, professional negligence, defendant insurance claims and injunctions.
I have also developed the non-contentious side of my practice in construction and engineering. I provide advice on contractual matters to those involved in all aspects of the construction industry as well as drafting the usual and bespoke suite of construction documentation. Clients range from funders, landowners, developers contractors and charities.
In addition I undertake work in collaboration with our private client department in respect of contentious probate matters.Book an appointment online
Make an appointment with one of our specialists using our online booking system
I have recently acted for clients in relation to:
- Expert determination on Section 994 Minority Shareholders Dispute
- Highly contentious lease renewal litigation against a national banking plc
- Advice on a supply catering contract for Cheshire academy school
- Defence of mandatory injunction for a national name ceramic industry client
Construction and engineering disputes:
- Adjudication on a final certificate for client contractor on a spa extension
- Fire sprinkler system adjudication on alleged losses as result of flood in Birmingham office block
- Mediation of a dispute involving a national road surfacing contractor.
Transactional construction work:
- Review and advice on framework agreement for a local contractor with a national supermarket chain
- Preparation of suite of construction contracts for a national automotive client for workshops and showrooms
- Drafting bespoke deeds of appointment for national charity on renovation projects in Stoke-on-Trent
- Advising and negotiating an IChem contract between supplier client and national aggregate Plc
- Advising executors on a 1975 Inheritance Act of a claim involving substantial farming assets in Shropshire
- Advising an executor on a Section 51 removal of trustee action
- Advice on invalid wills
What others say about me:
“Argus employed Karen Elder at Beswicks Legal to help with a construction adjudication claim of significant value and complexity. Karen’s attention to detail, hard work and tenacity coupled with extensive experience, an unflappable approach and a great way with people at all levels in our organisation were both a breath of fresh air in terms of professional service and instrumental to a successful outcome. I would not hesitate to recommend Karen to anyone wanting robust, practical and commercially sound legal advice.” Herb Bate – Chairman – Argus Fire Protection Company Limited
‘an accredited mediator, who handles contentious and non-contentious work’. Legal 500 2017
- Partner, Beswicks Legal
- Accredited commercial mediator and former senior law lecturer at Staffordshire University.
I continue to co-author a practical manual on civil litigation which sells both nationally and internationally. It is currently in its 11th edition and is published by Oxford University Press.